At ScrogginsGrear, We Make it Our Mission to Help You with Your Mission!
Since 1945, we have been serving charitable and tax-exempt organizations throughout Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana. We are trusted advisors for nonprofit organizations like yours, who are committed to serving the community.
Our experienced team of professionals stands ready to provide audit, accounting, tax, and consulting services to meet your organization’s unique needs.
Providing financial information in a timely and accurate manner is our commitment to you. Meaningful, well-organized financial records ensure that your organization will run more efficiently. At ScrogginsGrear, we can provide you with a full range of cost-effective accounting services including the following:
- General ledger & financial statement preparation
- Bookkeeping (Monthly/Quarterly/Annually)
- Accounting system setup
- Nonprofit tax return preparation
Our role in the financial reporting process is to provide independent assurance to help your organization with compliance issues and to provide transparency, value and integrity to your board members, donors and the public. We provide financial reporting on all three levels of assurance:
- Audit – an intensive examination; the highest level of assurance
- Review – inquiry and analytical procedures; limited level of assurance
- Compilation – reporting client information in a financial statement format; no assurance
With a trusted reputation for providing outstanding service to our clients, ScrogginsGrear continues to earn the highest possible rating and clean reports on our AICPA Peer Reviews!
Does your 401(k) Plan Need an Audit?
The accounting and tax issues involved with employer-provided benefit plans can be overwhelming. We have years of experience auditing a variety of employee benefit plans.
Many nonprofit 401(k) and retirement plans are too small to need an external audit. With some exceptions, when your participant count exceeds 100 will you be required to have a benefit plan audit. If your employee participation has increased, we can help you determine your needs. With our membership in the Employee Benefit Plan Audit Quality Center of the AICPA (American Institute of Certified Public Accountants), our team will make sure you are compliant with your plan document, and with DOL and IRS rules.
Let us work with you to develop strategies that will maximize your tax benefits and minimize your tax liabilities.
Estate & Trust Tax Preparation
Effective estate and gift planning facilitates the orderly transfer of assets to beneficiaries, provides security, and can reduce or eliminate the tax due on assets. For nonprofits, providing for continuity and succession is essential. We can guide you through the complex process.
- During our years of experience dealing with many taxing authorities, we have achieved a level of competence that can ensure our clients they are being properly represented before the various federal and state tax agencies.
Sales Tax Services
- Many of our nonprofit clients are responsible for collecting and submitting sales taxes in many different vicinities. We can assist your organization in the compilation of information and preparation of sales tax returns in an efficient and timely manner.
- Tax planning is an essential element of the tax preparation process. By making tax planning part of your overall organization strategy, you can use our experience and access to the most current new developments in the tax laws to minimize both your current and future tax liabilities. We also offer personal tax planning and preparation.
- Our computerized tax preparation and research software enables us to prepare returns accurately and efficiently for various types of entities, including individuals, corporations, partnerships, trusts, estates, and nonprofit organizations.
Comprehensive Services for Nonprofits
Along with traditional nonprofit services, ScrogginsGrear offers a comprehensive array of additional services to further meet your nonprofit’s specific needs. You do what you do best! We’ll help you with the rest.
We can assist with budget preparation and analysis to help your nonprofit forecast and evaluate your financial condition and track cash-flow sources and uses.
Optimizing your retirement
A retirement plan often represents an individual’s largest financial asset. Consequently, government agencies are very interested in retirement plan compliance. We provide plan service with the utmost care and diligence called for in this highly regulated and monitored environment. Our membership in the American Society of Pension Professionals & Actuaries provides us with timely technical updates and the latest planning strategies.
Objectivity and flexibility
We are independent of investment products; thus, our plan design and administrative services give you unlimited investment flexibility. You can change investment product or advisor without disrupting your plan’s foundational document and administration.
Time for a plan exam?
Correct design and funding are key to your retirement plan (and your employees). Qualified retirement plans are the best way to shelter income, prepare for the future, and to attract and retain the best employees. We can help you with:
- Maximizing contributions for your nonprofit
- Providing a cost-effective but competitive benefit for employees
- A 401(k) plan or even a defined benefit pension plan which has a much higher funding limit than a 401(k) plan.
If it’s time to examine your existing plan – or establish one – we can help design and administer the right retirement plan for you.
Even the most qualified executives can benefit from competent, objective feedback. We can help your nonprofit’s leadership team develop long-term objectives and specific strategies to facilitate your mission’s future growth and success. Successful implementation and periodic review of your financial/strategic plan will ensure the legacy of your nonprofit.
HR Consulting & Talent Recruiting/Assessment
It is critical for any organization to have the right people in the right seats. This is especially true for nonprofits, with lean staffs. Our experienced, certified human resource experts provide advice, guidance, and direction regarding the application of human resource laws, labor policies, practices, and procedures. We can help you with:
We can assist you in the development of personnel policy manuals.
Our HR team can:
- Help you find the right people for your nonprofit.
- Provide a wide range of pre-employment testing.
- Help you solve complicated staffing issues.
Our online talent assessment and reports can help you:
Improve Hiring: Use prehire analytics to measure potential hires against the skill sets needed for the position.
ID Skill Sets: Use these online talent assessments and reports to identify skillsets, help you hire the right people and/or drive the career growth of your current employees.
Develop Current Employees: Our online development assessments and reports help you give current employees a clear path for capitalizing on strengths and closing any gaps.
Understand your people and yourself. We can work with your nonprofit team to provide customized on-site training and individual executive coaching to enhance your team’s management and leadership skills to achieve outstanding results.
Workplace Culture Analysis & Solutions
Is your whole team rowing in the same direction, or are some people lounging in the back, or whacking others with their paddles? Let us help you inspire your team, solve problems before they start, and increase communication. Let us help you become the best organization you can be!
We believe culture trumps strategy. We can assist you in analyzing your nonprofit’s culture and offer solutions to assist you in creating and maintaining a healthy culture.
Our communication workshops use a proven skill building approach that teaches your people the relational and interpersonal skills necessary to build a thriving culture.
Our skilled consultants can take you through our four-phase process to discuss issues respectfully, rebuild trust and move forward on a new trajectory.
In order to drive your mission forward, you need a cohesive team around you. We can help you identify and remove elephants in the room, capitalize on the personality styles of your teammates, learn to handle crucial conversations well, and build trust among your team.
- Accounting & Bookkeeping Services
- Audits, Reviews & Compilations
- Retirement Plan Administration
- Cash Flow & Budgeting Analysis
- Tax Planning & Preparation
- Leadership Support & Training
- Team Development
- Talent Assessment & Acquisition
- Human Resources Support Services
- Financial Forecasts & Projections
- Human Resources Support Services